Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New Screen or new bike?  (Read 9374 times)

Offline denis

• CBF Member
  • Bike: cbf 1000 2008
  • City / Town: brisbane
New Screen or new bike?
« on: 15 February, 2013, 07:53:47 AM »
How to stop a biffer buffeting? I have tried every conceivable combination of new brackets and the old screen but to no avail.
My last resort was to wait for the new bmw f800gt. I tried that to my disappointment. No buffeting but on every other aspect the biffer is better and they wanted $14,000.00 change-over  :005:I think we will all find it difficult to get something better than a biffer
Today I ordered the calsci medium screen (mk1).  $245.00 delivered
My concern is that although the buffeting may stop it may also stop the breeze.
I will keep you posted

Offline golfsharpy12

• CBF Legend
  • RG500 - 2-stroke heaven (Dum Spiro Spero)
  • Bike: Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Marlow & Gloucs
Re: New Screen or new bike?
« Reply #1 on: 15 February, 2013, 08:14:46 AM »
My suggestion - test ride a Mk2 with the screen in the lowest setting. It might just save you the price of a cal sci screen :164:
Steve

Offline Adromar59

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000, CB900
  • City / Town: Uttoxeter
« Reply #2 on: 15 February, 2013, 08:32:06 AM »
Hi Denis
I have read quite a few postings regarding the Biffer screen and buffeting, my conclusion is that there is not a particular solution to fit all riders, experimentation is the only way to solve it or at least reduce it.
In my own case I did not want to purchase an after market screen only to find it did not cure the problem, so like you I tried as many different combinations as I could with the existing screen, seat and handlebars.
One set up I tried which I have not heard anyone else try is to fit rubber spacers under the screen to increase the gap between the screen and cockpit, I only used small spacers, say about 10 to 12 mm.
I read somewhere that this reduces the effect of the low pressure area behind the screen which causes buffeting as the air collapses into the low pressure void.
My screen is on the highest setting and the seat the lowest with the handlebars back, this improved things for me quite a lot, I am only 5ft 8in so it may not be so successful with taller riders.
I will try to take some pictures when I get home tonight and post them to explain what I did.
It may help and is a lot cheaper than changing the bike.
Adrian
A Bike on the road is worth two in the Shed.

Offline jontyg

• CBF Master
« Reply #3 on: 15 February, 2013, 09:48:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by golfsharpy12 [+]
My suggestion - test ride a Mk2 with the screen in the lowest setting. It might just save you the price of a cal sci screen :164:
Steve

Not sure if the aussies have the MK2, but please correct me if I'm wrong.  :187:

Offline Rustyrig

• CBF Legend
  • Ride and smile
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Stockton on Tees
« Reply #4 on: 15 February, 2013, 10:09:32 AM »
Here we are again the screen issue, I've tried most screens and not much difference between them, the best screen for me is the one I cut 2 slots in,
the standard screen with 2 slot 22mm wide by approx 130mm long it works best for me.

In all honesty I don't think it's about height of the screen I think it's more about the width of it and it been far to close to the fairing, there is loads of threads on here about it.

I do have a MRA screen and a GIVI 303 available if anyone wants to come and try them out before they buy and there is also my own slotted version.

Must say though this one (screen) is the is like  :157:

Barry

Offline riles

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Wilts/Dorset/Som
« Reply #5 on: 15 February, 2013, 01:02:25 PM »
If you live in OZ, surely, if you can keep the flies off your teeth.......?

:001:

R

Offline coldrider

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: 2008 CBF1000
  • City / Town: Bradford,Ontario
« Reply #6 on: 15 February, 2013, 01:50:39 PM »
Denis, I think the Calsci screen will be a lot better than the stock one no matter what.  It is a matter of seat height, your height, screen setting and angle to do the fine tuning....but it will be better.  I have the Calsci medium on the Mk1 model and it worked for me right away, even better when I put some rubber washers under it to adjust the attack angle.

Offline golfsharpy12

• CBF Legend
« Reply #7 on: 15 February, 2013, 04:07:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by jontyg [+]
Not sure if the aussies have the MK2, but please correct me if I'm wrong.  :187:

Jontyg, You are entirely correct - I have just looked at the Honda .au site and they neither offer the Mk 1 nor the Mk2 - very uncivilized as its one of the nicest bikes in the Honda range.

Denis, sorry did not mean to rub salt in the wound.  Hope the Cal Sci option works for you.

Steve 

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000FAB
  • City / Town: Poole, Dorset
« Reply #8 on: 15 February, 2013, 05:20:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by golfsharpy12 [+]
Jontyg, You are entirely correct - I have just looked at the Honda .au site and they neither offer the Mk 1 nor the Mk2 - very uncivilized as its one of the nicest bikes in the Honda range.

Denis, sorry did not mean to rub salt in the wound.  Hope the Cal Sci option works for you.

Steve
You been out to try the CalSci yet Steve or are you still incapacitated?
Mike

Offline golfsharpy12

• CBF Legend
« Reply #9 on: 15 February, 2013, 05:29:34 PM »
Your timing is brilliant - I see the consultant on 26 Feb and hopefully will be cleared to ride after that as the radical physio (which hurts like...He..) seems to be making a difference and I have some strength back in my grip again.   I will see what the scan and doc lets me do.   Itching to get back on.

diverse-leafy