Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Range?  (Read 4122 times)

Offline lew600fazer

• CBF Legend
  • living in France and not happy
  • Bike: 2013 Yam MT-09
  • City / Town: La Sauvetat
Re: Range?
« Reply #60 on: 28 October, 2012, 10:12:36 AM »
*Originally Posted by coldrider [+]
Except that the odometer is probably reading low now.  What a shame when trading it in.  Oh my.

Nice thought, but I reckon the odometer will now be reading correctly. If the speedo is reading the same as the GPS. If one checked the trip statistics before leaving for a run in the GPS and checked the distance travelled on the odometer I am sure both would be reading pretty well near enough the same.
Just looking at the weather today I will not be checking it, blowing a gale here and lashing it down in Gods little green acre 
Fazer 600 S1 2007
Black CBF GT 2008
Z1000SX Tourer2011
Fazer 600 S2 2013
FZ1 2009, MT-09 2013

Offline alan sh

• Article Editor
  • CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000/CB1300
  • City / Town: Rochdale
« Reply #61 on: 28 October, 2012, 11:52:58 AM »
Not checked my red CBF - but the white one, with all standard gearing has the speedo reading around 7% fast but the odo 100% accurate relative to a GPS track. Measured this many times.
My black CNF (MK 1) was the same.

So, putting the gearing up will fix the speedo, but make the odo out.

ALan
Red MK II with full luggage, MRA screen, hugger, crash bungs, heated grips and Autocom.
CB1300SA with a few bits.
https://ourbikingholidays.wordpress.com/
https://mybikinghistory.wordpress.com/

Offline Tribal-Wolf

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000, VFR750
  • City / Town: Hessle
Range?
« Reply #62 on: 28 October, 2012, 01:00:42 PM »
Tyres can have a small effect on the speedo/odo as they wear they become smaller so you will get a very slight difference. Also different tyre manufacturers may have a slightly different profile which can affect it too. Most speedos are around 5 - 10% out when they leave the factory to make sure nobody breaks the speed limit then sues the bike manufacturer.
Once over the hill you pick up speed.

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #63 on: 28 October, 2012, 09:34:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tribal-Wolf [+]
The odometer probably reads high originally with it reading from the same source and if it does its a clever way for the manufacturers to get service work even sooner lol

Strangely that isn't usually the case. As manufacturers don't need to worry if it registers low, odometers are usually calibrated more accurately.
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift....