Author Topic: Tow bar  (Read 2615 times)

Offline gsxr884

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
Tow bar
on: 01 June, 2012, 06:29:43 PM
I am looking at fitting a tow bar to my CBF, has anyone plans to make one or pics I can copy from?
Thank you.

Offline Nuff

• CBF God
  • Bike: Black A7
  • City / Town: Milton Keynes
Re: Tow bar
Reply #1 on: 01 June, 2012, 07:27:35 PM
Owner's Manual, page 7.

"Do not pull a trailer or sidecar with your motorcycle. This motorcycle was not designed for these attachmenets and their use can seriously impair your motorcycle's handling."

But other than that, I don't think anybody (certainly nobody I can think of) has adapted their CBF for towing. One of the more learned members (bifferman?) might be able to recall someone who has.
Take my advice or not, I really don't care. I'm just telling you what I think and would do on my bike.

Offline RadMan

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2012 CBF1000FA
  • City / Town: Jordan Stn., ON
Reply #2 on: 01 June, 2012, 07:49:39 PM
Java tows a single wheel trailer.  Perhaps he can chime in.

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000FAB
  • City / Town: Ferndown, Dorset
Reply #3 on: 01 June, 2012, 08:09:44 PM
Without checking, I believe Java has some pics of his rig in the gallery. I know he's commented on it in one or two threads.
Mike
Last Edit: 03 June, 2012, 06:32:31 AM by Biker Mike

Offline gsxr884

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: 02 June, 2012, 11:57:40 PM
thanks guys

Offline golfsharpy12

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Marlow & Gloucs
Reply #5 on: 03 June, 2012, 09:21:19 AM
Try here then buy a Volvo http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/join-us and then leave the bike alone for the twisties  :169:.   Sorry but sounds like a proposal for high treason to me - but then I bought a bike so I did not conform. 

Steve

Offline java

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Red 09 CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Abu Dhabi
Reply #6 on: 03 June, 2012, 03:31:41 PM
Hi Guys

Yes I had been towing a uni-wheel motorcycle trailer since the beginning of last summer. The little trailer behind the bike rides well and you practically don't feel it behind you.

Last summer I did with my wife a motorcycle road trip to the Canadian east coast (more than 6 000 km) with a fully loaded bike ( side panniers and top box) and also pulling the trailer behind us. The bike behaved supper and I was able to reach speeds of 140 km/h without any stability problems or lack of power. I'm using the trailer on a regular basics mainly to go grocery shooping and long trips where you have to carry more stuff.

So far I have more than 17 000 kms on the bike where half of them will be pulling my motorcycle trailer and my Baby (CBF) still riding smooth and strong!!!

Will take some picks from the bike and trailer and posted here soon.

gsxr884  I send you a PM, you can check some picks on the JAVA folder here in the gallery

Take care

:152: :152:
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000FAB
  • City / Town: Ferndown, Dorset
Reply #7 on: 03 June, 2012, 04:21:07 PM
What sort of fuel consumption figure are you getting with this rig, java and do you ever take it off?

Offline java

• CBF Master
Reply #8 on: 03 June, 2012, 05:26:41 PM
Hi Biker Mike

I never measure the fuel consumption of the bike with the trailer behind it, but on our past road trip with a fully loaded bike, my wife as pillion and pulling the trailer I was doing on a full tank of gas around 200/230 kms traveling at 110/120 km/h before stooping to fill ups.

Usually I drive the bike without panniers/top box or the trailer, like I said, the trailer had been use only to do grocery shopping or road trips, but sometimes I just hitch it to ride around without the bike panniers or top box and be able to put all my riding gear and other stuff inside it. Also with the trailer I can see that drivers are more aware of my bike on the road, sometimes even more distracted looking on my ring on a stop light.

Don't know who is the CBF rider or is he is on this forum, but the owner of the trailer shop said to me that he just finished another order for a CBF1000 rider here in Toronto. According to the shop owner the guy saw my bike with the trailer in a parking lot and call him to place an order, so now I'm not the only CBF rider with an uni-wheel trailer behind it!

I'll post a few picks for gsxr884 to take a look. Take care

:152: :152:

Offline java

• CBF Master
Last Edit: 03 June, 2012, 06:08:20 PM by java