Author Topic: Recent Motorcycle Case  (Read 7105 times)

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
Re: Recent Motorcycle Case
Reply #20 on: 25 May, 2012, 11:07:33 AM
I'm still holding my breath before I say something I might regret! :107:
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
  • CBF God
Reply #21 on: 25 May, 2012, 11:14:46 AM
*Originally Posted by Rev Ken [+]

Never stopped you before :mfrlol:

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
Reply #22 on: 25 May, 2012, 10:13:12 PM
*Originally Posted by Bifferman [+]
*Originally Posted by Rev Ken [+]

Never stopped you before :mfrlol:

Well I'll be :172: :172: I couldn't give a  :232: :232: I just hate  :157: :157: :157:  when someone starts :211: :211:, and as for you Bifferman :192: :192: :192: :192: :192:

Offline JohnBiker4

• CBF Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CBF1000ABS
  • City / Town: Leicester
Reply #23 on: 31 May, 2012, 09:43:42 AM
Sorry for not being able to give you further information other than what has been officially reported, as an appeal may be considered. However, when the judgment is published, I will give you a summary of the evidence which was heard by the court.

Offline Nuff

• CBF God
  • Bike: Black A7
  • City / Town: Milton Keynes
Reply #24 on: 31 May, 2012, 10:15:44 AM
I bloody well hope an appeal is being considered. I've been ranting about this injustice to any poor sod in earshot!
Take my advice or not, I really don't care. I'm just telling you what I think and would do on my bike.

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
Reply #25 on: 31 May, 2012, 12:59:05 PM
If it wasn't so tragic, it would be a farce!

It reminds me of a newspaper article I saw in Malta when we were on our way back to Germany from Libya during the 6 day war. A mini bus driver had come down a steep hill at the side of Valletta harbour and had rammed an almost new Mercedes car in the side and knocked it into the harbour. The case came to court and the judge asked the car driver if he had seen the mini bus coming down the hill. To which he replied that he had seen it and as there was a stop sign at the bottom of the hill and he was on the main road he naturally assumed the bus would stop. The judge however did not agree as he said the car driver should have realised that the mini bus couldn't stop in time, so it was the car driver's fault........

It kept me amused as I struggled with trying to organise the return trip for an ad hoc admin unit, with masses of training equipment and vehicles without offending the Swiss (we had to disguise the military vehicles going back by rail) and the inevitable bureaucracy of travelling by road wiot ha  huge convoy through Italy, France and Germany. Those were the days!

Offline Nuff

• CBF God
  • Bike: Black A7
  • City / Town: Milton Keynes
Reply #26 on: 26 October, 2014, 01:42:03 AM
JohnBiker4,
Did this ever get fully and finally resolved? Did the motorcyclist get the compensation he deserved?
Take my advice or not, I really don't care. I'm just telling you what I think and would do on my bike.

Offline paulca

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Bangor
Reply #27 on: 26 October, 2014, 07:56:55 AM
*Originally Posted by Nuff [+]
I think it *should* be reasonable to expect oncoming vehicles not to be in  your lane.

Ride how you like, but I assume the next vehicle coming round a bend WILL be on my side of the road.

I don't consider this paranoid either as it happens repeatedly, at least once a week.  Closest and scariest it's ever been it was a biker coming the other way!  Granted a cruiser rider with a stupid hat, but still kinda a biker.  He obviously never heard of the death zone and probably never been down this particular road as every 50th vehicle is a quarry lorry!

Offline JohnBiker4

• CBF Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CBF1000ABS
  • City / Town: Leicester
Reply #28 on: 27 October, 2014, 11:08:01 PM
Good evening. As far as I am aware, the matter went no further and the case stands. However, I must stress that every case is determined on its merits. I have added another case to a power-point Filtering presentation that I give to motorcycle clubs which does prove that the court can give very sensible and reasoned decisions. The case is Beasley v Alexander (2012) High Court. If you have the time, read the case and in particular, the witness evidence. The judge's reasoning was very well thought out and sound. It made me think of the very recent video that was published with the consent of the mother whose son was tragically killed. That is, the distance at which the car turned in relation to the proximity of the on-coming motorcycle and even if the motorcyclist was travelling within the speed limit, would the accident have been avoided? However, that is a topic for another time. John

diverse-leafy