Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Renewing steering head bearings  (Read 4099 times)

Offline robinross

• CBF Pro
  • City / Town: Dover
Renewing steering head bearings
« on: 05 May, 2012, 10:45:00 AM »
Looked through all the threads but can't seem to find what I'm looking for : how difficult is it to change steering head bearings? I am reasonably competent with things mechanical but have never done this particular task.

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
Re: Renewing steering head bearings
« Reply #1 on: 05 May, 2012, 01:44:25 PM »
Hi Robin.  Not done this either as had the dealer do it 1 week before my warranty expired :028: 

Looking at the Service Manual it is pretty clear that the fork stem will need to be dropped out and that doesn't look too daunting by itself (except for the first time one attempts it :012: ).  Best bet is to read the SM and judge for yourself, then ask a dealer for a quote to do the work for you and decide whether it is worth having a go yourself.

Apart from having to remove quite a few bits and bobs to get access it seems to me that the only difficulty you may experience is tightening the headstock nut again unless you have the workshop tool (Steering Stem Socket) or something that will do the same job.  The Service Manual Chapter 14 about page 30ish is where to go and avalook.

Andy

:149:

Offline JETFIXER

• CBF Member
« Reply #2 on: 28 May, 2012, 05:46:56 PM »
I have changed the bearing to tapered rollers and what a difference it's made. No clunking for one!!
It took me about 3 hours. Hardest point getting the lower bearing outer race out of the head stock. I had a bearing puller so I pulled that apart and used one leg to hook at the back of the shell. With a bit of help and a long drift beat it out. Putting it all back was fairly easy. Use the old bearing to protect the new and you will need a 32mm steel pipe 10" long to get the head stock lower bearing inner race fitted. I also made the special tool for the head stock nut. The biggest socket Halfords do, and ground it down to make the splines. It's all doable if you have some technical/mechanical skill.
CBF1000A
Fazer 600
Land Rover Disco ( For when the snow buggers it up)
Hospitals are for when exuberance exceeds talent.

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #3 on: 29 May, 2012, 02:23:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by JETFIXER [+]
I have changed the bearing to tapered rollers and what a difference it's made. No clunking for one!!
It took me about 3 hours. Hardest point getting the lower bearing outer race out of the head stock. I had a bearing puller so I pulled that apart and used one leg to hook at the back of the shell. With a bit of help and a long drift beat it out. Putting it all back was fairly easy. Use the old bearing to protect the new and you will need a 32mm steel pipe 10" long to get the head stock lower bearing inner race fitted. I also made the special tool for the head stock nut. The biggest socket Halfords do, and ground it down to make the splines. It's all doable if you have some technical/mechanical skill.

And you did all that in 3 hours - pure genius mate, would have taken me the best part of a weekend and half a crate of Stella :015:

Andy

:149:

Offline JETFIXER

• CBF Member
« Reply #4 on: 29 May, 2012, 05:01:48 PM »
Sorry Andy, led you astray abit there. It was Foster's actually and the socket from Halfords I got and did the day before.  :431: :169:
Halfords 1 -1/2 Deep socket, and the help? ... got the misses in from the garden :mfrlol:
If anyone wants to borrow it it, ask via the forum and we can work out how to post it, the socket, not the wife!
« Last Edit: 29 May, 2012, 05:06:55 PM by JETFIXER »
CBF1000A
Fazer 600

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #5 on: 29 May, 2012, 05:36:34 PM »
Sorry Andy, led you astray abit there. It was Foster's actually and the socket from Halfords I got and did the day before.  :431: :169:
Halfords 1 -1/2 Deep socket, and the help? ... got the misses in from the garden :mfrlol:
If anyone wants to borrow it it, ask via the forum and we can work out how to post it, the socket, not the wife!

Is it too much Fosters that makes the picture fuzzy? :164:
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift....

Offline JETFIXER

• CBF Member
« Reply #6 on: 29 May, 2012, 06:08:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rev Ken [+]

Is it too much Fosters that makes the picture fuzzy? :164:

Nope, crap camera. You get the idea though? No Foster's for me tonight, working :110:
CBF1000A
Fazer 600

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #7 on: 29 May, 2012, 09:50:07 PM »
Ah well - I'll have 'just the one' (whisky) for you this evening..... :016:
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift....

Offline JETFIXER

• CBF Member
« Reply #8 on: 29 May, 2012, 09:55:01 PM »
 :031: good health!
CBF1000A
Fazer 600

Offline DCSF

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Dublin
« Reply #9 on: 11 June, 2018, 09:44:11 AM »
Apologies for dragging up an old thread....

When renewing steering head bearings how much bodywork needs to come off?

Do I need to remove whole front..ie fairings clocks lights etc etc...or can I get access just taking out forks?
Im not sure I could get at lower bearing if I dont clear complete front end ?

diverse-leafy