Author Topic: Some voltmeters  (Read 6292 times)

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
  • CBF God
Re: Some voltmeters
Reply #20 on: 08 May, 2012, 06:41:43 PM
Been meaning to post a couple of pics of the fitted product so here now.

Andy

Offline melb_rider

• CBF Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #21 on: 09 May, 2012, 02:39:56 AM
Nice job - very unobtrusive!

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
  • CBF God
Reply #22 on: 09 May, 2012, 09:02:24 AM
*Originally Posted by melb_rider [+]
Nice job - very unobtrusive!

Aw fank-oo. 

I put quite a bit of thought into this from voltage tipping points (which I still might have reprogrammed to take account of the 0.1v voltage drop), to the size of lamp, to the wiring and also the location so it hopefully didn't look too much like an 'add on' part.  Having the wind deflectors helps as it gives more options as to location and I spent at least one bottle of Stella armed with some sticky red dots positioning the light so it actually looked right before committing to drilling the meter cover from which there would be no turning back.

So far it is working very well.  Ignition on and it runs through a colour checking sequence of red amber and green so you know the LED is working (Honda take note re the temp warning indicator !), followed by the lamp showing red as you would expect with the ignition and lights (HID's) putting an immediate drain on the battery. 

Fire up the engine and within a 3 or 4 seconds the lamp reverts to green (there is a built in time delay in the lamps circuitry).  Leave on tickover and increase the electrical loading first turning on the main beam (stays green) and then adding in as well my Oxford Hot Hands (2 x 18w) and no change in the green output :495: 

Out of curiosity I checked the voltage at the battery terminals and with all this draw and the bike ticking over at c.1,200 rpm the voltage across the terminals was 13.89v which suggests to me that the alternator is pumping away quite nicely.

Andy

:149:
Last Edit: 09 May, 2012, 12:59:09 PM by Bifferman

Offline Ferrox

• CBF Member
Reply #23 on: 26 June, 2012, 10:12:42 PM
Hi im interested in this. Did you all have custom voltages programmed in or go with the standard. If custom, what values are you using? I take it you cant programme yourself.

Offline Nuff

• CBF God
  • Bike: Black A7
  • City / Town: Milton Keynes
Reply #24 on: 27 June, 2012, 12:02:39 AM
Ferrox, do you realise there's two pages to this thread? On the first page bifferman tells us all the voltage thresholds he's chosen. Here's a direct link https://www.cbf1000.com/index.php/topic,12722.msg158618.html#msg1586183
Take my advice or not, I really don't care. I'm just telling you what I think and would do on my bike.

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
  • CBF God
Reply #25 on: 27 June, 2012, 08:11:02 AM
*Originally Posted by Ferrox [+]
Hi im interested in this. Did you all have custom voltages programmed in or go with the standard. If custom, what values are you using? I take it you cant programme yourself.

The unit is not self programmable but the supplier will programme it more or less any way you want, even with lots more change points.  I kept mine to four on the KISS principle.   The standard voltage tipping points were OK but are generic and were not designed specifically for the CBF1000 MK1.  My custom changes IMO made the tipping points more appropriate for the Biffer.

Andy

p.s.  Oh yea, so far the unit has worked really well.

Offline Ferrox

• CBF Member
Reply #26 on: 27 June, 2012, 04:42:09 PM
thanks biffer ill contact him with your voltages and get one sorted for peace of mind.

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
  • CBF God
Reply #27 on: 28 June, 2012, 02:47:13 PM
*Originally Posted by Ferrox [+]
thanks biffer ill contact him with your voltages and get one sorted for peace of mind.

If you want a bit of info on how I fitted (and why) give me a PM and I will ping over my tel.

Andy

Offline Thiss

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000 Mk1
  • City / Town: Huddersfield
Reply #28 on: 15 September, 2012, 08:57:39 PM
Andy

Got mine on Friday and will fit it tomorrow - thanks for you advice - let you know how it goes....

Offline chippy4467

• Non Active
  • CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000 A7
  • City / Town: Midsomer Norton
Reply #29 on: 22 September, 2012, 09:29:53 PM
got mine this morning - once I get the alternator fixed it will get fitted - have gone for  8 mmm LED but standard settings - as long as I know the parameters it will tell me what I want to know - i.e battery is still charging
Dream big, get things done and change the world

No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.......

diverse-leafy