Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: square tyres  (Read 1230 times)

Offline Nuff

• CBF God
  • Bike: Black A7
  • City / Town: Milton Keynes
Re: square tyres
« Reply #10 on: 23 February, 2012, 06:40:21 PM »
I think the initial comments were just surprise you'd not seen it before....
Take my advice or not, I really don't care. I'm just telling you what I think and would do on my bike.

Offline aggy

• CBF Master
  • Bike: cbf 1000GT
  • City / Town: Gatwick Surrey
« Reply #11 on: 24 February, 2012, 03:31:00 PM »
well Nuff, you can write what i know about bikes on a fag packet, but i am learning.

Offline Nuff

• CBF God
« Reply #12 on: 24 February, 2012, 04:47:32 PM »
What tyres are you running mate?
Take my advice or not, I really don't care. I'm just telling you what I think and would do on my bike.

Offline aggy

• CBF Master
  • Bike: cbf 1000GT
  • City / Town: Gatwick Surrey
« Reply #13 on: 25 February, 2012, 02:36:50 PM »
hi Nuff, got on it Battlax BT57 as supplied new from Dobles, got 6500 miles on them , cant complain the seem good, but i dont have a vast wealth of experience , i dont ride fast (often) , they seem decent to me.

Offline Nuff

• CBF God
« Reply #14 on: 27 February, 2012, 04:06:18 PM »
They're what's known as a single compound tyre which means the rubber is the same across the profile, a compromise between grip and durability. The latest generation of tyres from most of the main manufacturers are now what are called dual compound tyres. Effectively the tyre is divided into three zones, with the compromise leaning more towards grip for the outside zones and more towards durability for the central zone. This helps to reduce the amount the tyre squares off in its lifetime, leading to better cornering for longer and more thorough use of the tyre. I for one will never switch back to a single compound tyre for a bike like this if I can possibly avoid it.

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #15 on: 27 February, 2012, 04:40:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by aggy [+]
hi Nuff, got on it Battlax BT57 as supplied new from Dobles, got 6500 miles on them , cant complain the seem good, but i dont have a vast wealth of experience , i dont ride fast (often) , they seem decent to me.

Aggy

Your think BT057's are OK and at 6500 miles.  57's came to the market around 15 years ago (don't shoot me if I am a year or two out) and the compound may have altered in that time but the technology in those tyres as lacking, severely lacking, compared with tyres like the BT023 or the Michelin PR3.  IMHO, don't try and get the last mile out of the 57's, at 6 1/2k miles ditch them as soon as you can and get a new set before the start of the season.  You will find the difference between the 57's (esp worn ones) and either of the above mentioned is very noticeable in virtually every department.  My personal preference, as is for many CBF1000 riders is the PR3.

This is approaching the 'no brainer' level.  You WILL be surprised at just how much better the new tyres are.

Andy

:149:

diverse-leafy