Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: BT023's on the MK II  (Read 1604 times)

Offline alan sh

• Article Editor
  • CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000/CB1300
  • City / Town: Rochdale
BT023's on the MK II
« on: 25 September, 2011, 09:28:51 PM »
If anyone has any doubt about putting BT023's onto a MK II CBF, forget them now.

Mine were fitted yesterday and I was on them all day today. 160 miles. They are fantastic. So much better than the BT57s. I've got no chicken strips left!!

And they also work well in the wet.

Alan
Red MK II with full luggage, MRA screen, hugger, crash bungs, heated grips and Autocom.
CB1300SA with a few bits.
https://ourbikingholidays.wordpress.com/
https://mybikinghistory.wordpress.com/

Offline Rose

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000FAB White
  • City / Town: Lyneham
Re: BT023's on the MK II
« Reply #1 on: 26 September, 2011, 07:45:23 PM »
I had a BT23 put on my new Mk2 on Friday :013:

I was due to leave for a weekend in Wales with a group of ladies and found a nail in my rear tyre, only 2,000 miles on it too.

So rang round a found my local Suzuki garage had a tyre to fit and where 30 quid less than my local Honda :005:  So 45 mins later than anticipated I was on the road.

Motorway all the way over to Wales and once there the roads where pretty crap to be honest.  Loads of slurry on the roads and greasy to boot, but the tryes did their job.

Question though, it doesn't matter that I didn't change the front tyre to the 23's does it?
I was asked for an 8 character password, so I chose Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

Offline golfsharpy12

• CBF Legend
  • RG500 - 2-stroke heaven (Dum Spiro Spero)
  • Bike: Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Marlow & Gloucs
« Reply #2 on: 27 September, 2011, 08:46:05 AM »
Suspect that unless you push you will not notice anything; however, if anything I tend to go the other way and would prefer the griper tyre on the front.   However, for balance I would find a good deal and stick a 23 on the front as at least I would have total confidence in my tyres then.

Steve 

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #3 on: 27 September, 2011, 09:38:42 AM »
Heaps of threads and views on changing single or pairs of tyres and particularly tyres between different manufacturers where the profiles may be different.

Personal view is if you can afford it ALWAYS change tyres as a pair even if you are considering replacing a rear to try and get two rears to one front, false ecoomy IMHO if you put safety first rather than wonga.  Two tyres, one life.

Andy

:149:

Offline Rose

• CBF Master
« Reply #4 on: 27 September, 2011, 01:24:27 PM »
Its got the 57s on the front and only 2500 miles on the clock.  I'll check out the archive threads..
I was asked for an 8 character password, so I chose Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #5 on: 27 September, 2011, 06:28:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rose [+]
Its got the 57s on the front and only 2500 miles on the clock.  I'll check out the archive threads..

57s will let go a lot sooner that 023s - but as has been said, it is dependant on your riding style, as if you are riding well within the capabilities of the 57s, having an 023 on the back won't make any difference - but I'm one of those who always replaces both tyres,as even at my time of life - I like to think I have taken every precaution to stay black side up.
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #6 on: 29 September, 2011, 10:47:14 AM »
*Originally Posted by Rev Ken [+]
*Originally Posted by Rose [+]

57s will let go a lot sooner that 023s - but as has been said, it is dependant on your riding style, as if you are riding well within the capabilities of the 57s, having an 023 on the back won't make any difference - but I'm one of those who always replaces both tyres,as even at my time of life - I like to think I have taken every precaution to stay black side up.

And the unexpected :187:

Offline Rose

• CBF Master
« Reply #7 on: 29 September, 2011, 12:12:46 PM »
A friend of mine, has a friend who is actually one of the tech guys at Bridgestone.  He said there would be no problem running the front 57's with the new 23 rear..

Offline golfsharpy12

• CBF Legend
  • RG500 - 2-stroke heaven (Dum Spiro Spero)
  • Bike: Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Marlow & Gloucs
« Reply #8 on: 29 September, 2011, 02:29:40 PM »
Rose, suspect there will not be any real issue unless really pushing the limits and then the front is more likely to let go first.  Also as my Mk 1 had a tendancy to tramline etc on overbanding having a 23 on the front may well make the bike feel more secure.   However if ridden at reasonable pace I┤m sure the 57 will be fine.  However, if it was me I would change.

Steve 

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #9 on: 03 October, 2011, 05:42:55 PM »
Rose

I keep using the phrase 'Two tyres - one life' and to me this sums up just about everything about tyres.  Frankly I simply would not take the chance of mixing old tech tyres like the BT057's with something up to the mark in the BT023's.  If you are a bit pushed for readies then I can understand but not to change the remaining BT057 albeit with only 2000 miles on it at the same time as you replace the punctured 057 is really not worth the risk.  The BT023's are a significantly better tyre all round while the BT057 started it's life something like 14 years ago.

Why Honda still punt what is now a second rate tyre and one which is almost impossible to buy a replacement of anyway really defeats me.   

FWIW, after two unpleasant incidents of the rear end breaking away on my original 057's in damp/greasy road conditions and when I was being careful I ditched mine for Mich PR2's and the 057's had only done 1,500 miles.  Gave them to some guy who lived in Spain (well swapped for a bottle of Scotch) and I recon I got the better of the bargain.  The PR2's were head and shoulders better than the 57's. 

Mich PR2's/PR3's and Stone 023's (Stones latest iterration of the 020/021 range) are alltogether in a different class to the 57's.  And now Dunlop are busy testing their successor to the Dunlop Roadsmarts (dare I say the Roadsmart 2) which will be interesting when they come out as they are supposed to best the new PR3's :005:

Andy

:149: 

diverse-leafy