Author Topic: CBF 1000 (2011) vs Kawasaki Z1000SX vs Suzuki GSX 1250 FA  (Read 17929 times)

Offline golfsharpy12

• CBF Legend
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Marlow & Gloucs
Finally test rode the Z1000SX last weekend - managed about 90 miles during my 2 hr stint.  Overall it's a great bike that handles very positively and sticks to the road very well.  Fueling was slightly hesitant in places and the finish is not as good as the CBF's (Mk 1 or Mk2).  Really enjoyed the bike and it is more focused and feels lighter than the CBF (though it is actually a similar weight).   Seat is crap - numb bumb after 80 miles - would need a Gel seat or suitable alteration.  No wind noise from the screen which was well sorted but looks flimsy.  Adjustable brake lever but clutch not adjustable and is heavier (cost saving measure ?).  In 96 miles used 12 litres of fuel so it is certainly more thirsty than the CBF.   Following that I rode the 2011 Biffer the next day - one with 2 k on the clock so nicely run in: handles better than my 2010 Gt and is less unsettled over bumps, Seat is way better than the Z1000 SX and with the screen in the mid position no wind noise or buffeting.    Also goes better than the Mk1 CBF - extra power is noticeable and fueling well sorted but certainly not as fast as the Z1000.   Did the same route as the day previous but Honda used 9.5 litres (2.5 litres less) which surprised me as I wasn't hanging around on either bike - lets say fairly progressive riding.  Kwack with ABS could have been had for £8900 (£600 off) and CBF 1000 for £8700  (£500 off) - these were both initial offers from the dealers for a cash sale but expect more could be had.  Oh and the CBF comes with a centre stand as standard - the Kwack not - why does a bike for all round use not come with the basic essentials ? Both were great bikes and if I was changing then would go for the CBF as it's a better all rounder; Z1000SX is certainly faster with more sporting pretensions and riding position less relaxed (footrests higher and further back).  If I had to choose a bike to live with I would go for the new CBF as it is (in my opinion) more useable and every bit as quick unless on the track - also the overall finish is much better than the Kawasaki and I suspect the difference will show 3 years down the line.  Both were great bikes but neither offers enough at the moment to make me want to change from my 2010 GT.   Will wait until next Apr when the warranty runs out and if the market remains the same - suspect will go for the Mk II CBF (dealer tells me there is likely to be a GT version early next year). 
Last Edit: 26 June, 2011, 11:48:47 PM by golfsharpy12

Offline Trousersnake01

• Ex Member
  • CBF Master
Re: CBF 1000 (2011) vs Kawasaki Z1000SX
Reply #1 on: 22 June, 2011, 12:51:33 AM
Good review, thanks
Look for me in your mirror

Offline RadMan

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2012 CBF1000FA
  • City / Town: Jordan Stn., ON
Reply #2 on: 22 June, 2011, 01:52:45 AM
Nice report.  I'd be interested in how the Suzuki GSX1250FA stacks up against these two.  Feel like another test ride?

Offline lew600fazer

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: 2013 Yam MT-09
  • City / Town: La Sauvetat
Reply #3 on: 22 June, 2011, 12:29:05 PM
As an ex Mk1 GT owner and current SX owner a lot of what Steve says is correct.
Steve
the demo SX you had must have had a hole in the tank. 8miles /per litre I am getting 185 miles on a spirited ride and that is topping up when the fuel pump sign flashes and means you are down to 1 ltr reserve(19ltr tank). Have managed 204 miles from a tank but running on vapours, Mr TOM TOM let me down as could not find a petrol station, 18.75ltrs she took , I had been meandering along enjoying the scenery coming back from France.
Concerning the seat absolutely correct I have sat on more comfortable bricks, as mentioned 80 miles and numb bum forsure.
Fuelling when I got mine the throttle was a bit snatchy, but Alan SH sorted that for me all that was required was a little bit of adjustment on the throttle cable as there was a lot of slack to take up. A few other SX owners have voiced concerns about it as well and the remendy is simple.
Also trying to find neutral was interesting but as you get used to the bike and a few miles in no worries
Agree the pegs are a bit on the high side and as mentioned further back , more sports bike orientated .
Concerning the finsh? time will tell, but I would say the finish is certainly better than what my Mk 1 was , I had rust on the welds around the frame joints, within 6 months from new and the paint was very thin as has been mentioned on this forum many times. , one complaint I do have is the tank because of the design, is prone to scratching and a good tank pad is required particularly if like me and have a bit of a fender belly.
Obviously I am biased here but I think in the SX you are getting a lot more bike for your money, as in it is fully fared,
I am sure also the SX is some 20kg lighter than the CBF ,228>248 for the biffer?
The lack of a centre stand on the SX is diffinately a big minus and one cannot be fitted, when the MK2 CBF was introduced a centrestand was an addon ???

Kawasaki have shot themselves in the foot when they introduced the SX , you could have it in Touring version either with Panniers or Top Box but not as a Three lugauge package. Givi have now brought out a system were you can have the Panniers& Top box system. I will have to fork out nearly 520 quid for the conversion. This breaks down as 250 quid for the Top Box, 175 quid for the top Box carrier frame and Givi mounting plate and another 195 quid for replacement Pannier mounting brackets the existing brackets cannot be used with the new system. Dammed annoying I may add.
Still I would be interested to see if and when Honda do bring out a GT MK2 what it comes in at. Even by the time I fit the Three box system it will have cost me 10200 quid,there abouts, original purchase price was 9749 quid and that was for an ABS model SX Tourer fitted with colour coded Pannier.
Would I buy a Z1000SX tourer again , certainly, the performance alone is second to none in this class, only the Yamaha FZ1 is up there with it.
Is the SX as comfortable to tour on as my GT was , NO , having done the same run down to my place in SW France on both bikes the GT wins hands down for comfort and that is not just the seat. The ridding position is more sporty than the GT and perhaps at 63 I should have taken that into consideration, but sorry I just find the MK2 Biffer just boring to look at and the price hike when it was introduced compared to the MK1 was scandilous.
Let's face it the SX is one sexy looking bike , but as my wife says maybe I should act my age and not my shoe size.
If one is looking for a fun bike with the capability of touring the SX is a good option, if one is looking for a more comfortable touring bike I suspect the MK2 CBF is a good option.
Why oh Why did Honda not sort out the Stator problems on the MK1, because value for money the better bike is the MK1 GT and if there are any new ones still out therefor someone on a budget grab a bargin.
Lew
Fazer 600 S1 2007
Black CBF GT 2008
Z1000SX Tourer2011
Fazer 600 S2 2013
FZ1 2009, MT-09 2013

Offline lew600fazer

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: 2013 Yam MT-09
  • City / Town: La Sauvetat
Reply #4 on: 22 June, 2011, 01:01:13 PM
Just thought I would pop this post on from a SX forum member, sounds as if the jury is out.

Have been riding a 10 plate CBF1000 for the last week after having my SX crushed. Not a fan of the looks but the ride I would say is a lot more comfortable than the SX. The seat is so much more comfortable and just as good in the corners. To be honest, if I had ridden the CBF prior to the SX purchase it would have been a much harder decision.

As an aside, strangely, I live in a condo complex with 11 other households. It's like a nice family unit and all are very sociable. The majority of the guys here say that they prefer the look of the CBF. Strange!

The SX was ready for collection on Thursday morning but I have not collected it yet. Still whipping around on the CBF.

So there we go folks you have a fan on the SX forum.
Lew
Fazer 600 S1 2007
Black CBF GT 2008
Z1000SX Tourer2011
Fazer 600 S2 2013
FZ1 2009, MT-09 2013

Offline golfsharpy12

• CBF Legend
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: 22 June, 2011, 01:38:15 PM
Radman - just for you and cos I want to see how it has changed from the Bandit 1250 I had 2 years ago - I have booked a test ride on a GSX 1250F for Sat morning - hoping for dry weather. 

Steve

Offline RadMan

• CBF Master
Reply #6 on: 22 June, 2011, 06:35:15 PM
Steve, you are the BEST.   :028:

Offline Brit182

• CBF God
  • Bike: 2012 CBF1000FAC
  • City / Town: West London
Reply #7 on: 23 June, 2011, 09:02:34 PM
"CBF comes with a centre stand as standard"

Was it a dealer add on? Honda's web site still show it as a £165.44 accessory!

Offline golfsharpy12

• CBF Legend
  • Topic Author
Added a GSX 1250 FA to the test ride tally this weekend - just to compare with the Mk 2 Biffer and the Z1000SX.   The GSX (speaking from experience as I had a GSF 1250S for 40k) appears to be a Bandit with a nicer fairing and decent clocks.   It initially feels much like the Bandit 1250 - weighty at slow speed but this disappears as you gather speed.  In fact the handling has a fairly reassuring solidity to it and is better damped compared with the Bandit.   It's not as nimble as either the Z1000 SX or the biffer, and you need to think about the line more as it's less easy to change line mid corner; also the suspension could be unsettled by midcorner bumps: held its line OK but mildly disconcerting when pushing.   Brakes every bit as good as the biffer and the Kawasaki but I did manage to trigger the ABS once and the pulsing through the lever was more marked than the Biffer's ABS.  The engine is superb - turbine smooth and pulls like a train - you can hold top gear from about 25 mph and it will accelerate cleanly and very quickly - make both the biffer and Z1ooo feel lacking in the torques dept.   In fact as a all round engine for road use - not sure if there is a better one out there.   The GSX has a great fairing - it works and no wind noise or buffeting.   Seat was OK on a par with the Honda but light years ahead of the Kawasaki.  Overall the finish appears good - better than the Kawasaki but not quite up to the standard of the Honda.   Best thing is the price - was offered one OTR for £6800 (list £7800) and the touring version with full luggage only £600 more.      Would I buy one - possibly but personally I like the Mk 2 Biffer more - feels slightly more nimble with better balance.  It is certainly better in terms of riding position and comfort than the Z1000SX.  Though the Kawasaki certainly has the sporting edge on all 3 bikes.   As I said before they are 3 great bikes each with different talents.    The GSX is not far behind the Z1000SX and the Biffer in any respect and its engine and brakes are the equal of any.  On value, it trounces both and hold its own for pretty much for all types of general use.   It's only when really pushing that is shows the age of the design.   The biffer and the Z1000SX are both more modern and show it but the difference is not much.  Bottom line is that you pays your money and takes your choice.    If you are thinking of changing take a decent test ride (at least 80 miles) and then make a decision - which ever you choose - I'm sure you will enjoy the experience.  For me - it looks like the Mk 2 Biffer (once the GT comes to the UK) will be the way forward.

Steve

Last Edit: 26 June, 2011, 11:47:48 PM by golfsharpy12

Offline RadMan

• CBF Master
Thanks Steve.  Great info you've provided for those of us not able to book test rides ourselves (dealers in Canada don't have many bikes available for demos).  Sounds like depending on what ones priorities are, you wouldn't go wrong with any of these three.