Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Brake pad review  (Read 3809 times)

Offline Crispy

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Manchester
Re: Brake pad review
« Reply #20 on: 16 May, 2020, 09:51:41 PM »
Went against the grain and got a full set of brake pads made by CL (Carbone Lorraine) for nearly 80 quid. Checked them out and they make brakes for trains and aircraft as well as motorcycles and cars. Got to say Iím really impressed with them and they hardly took any time to bed in. Excellent stopping power and kind to the discs. Also noticed when changing the pads that the front are exactly the same as the rear, but with the CL pads the rear have a different composition to the front and are marked front and rear on the packet.
« Last Edit: 16 May, 2020, 09:57:01 PM by Crispy »
A day without learning is a day wasted

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #21 on: 17 May, 2020, 04:08:15 PM »
But as you can't have 'everything', being kinder to discs (a good thing) must mean more pad wear or less braking (grease them and both the discs and pads will last forever!).

You'll have to pull them in about 8k as see how they are wearing (did you measure them before they went in).

My old pads have gone back in for now (but swapped about) after my winter service but as they are well down I've sought out some replacements - scored myself another set of genuine fronts for < £50 (happy with that).
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #22 on: 17 May, 2020, 06:40:30 PM »
I think this thread has lost its way, not that it ever really got started with any meaningful information. All the brands mentioned Goldfren, EBC, Brentha, Carbone Lorraine and even Honda rebranded pads come in different grades/compositions with different friction materials that give very different performance characteristics. I'd expect a  'review' to include more. Maybe I'm expecting too much from an internet forum.

Offline Crispy

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #23 on: 17 May, 2020, 07:34:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by jm2 [+]
But as you can't have 'everything', being kinder to discs (a good thing) must mean more pad wear or less braking (grease them and both the discs and pads will last forever!).

You'll have to pull them in about 8k as see how they are wearing (did you measure them before they went in).

Yes probably, CL claim the pads respect the discs. Iíll have to wait and see how quickly they wear, I didnít measure them but made a note in the service book of the date and mileage. The change of brake fluid would have effected the stopping power, but thereís definitely a big improvement and they were bedded in after two or three heavy pulls on the lever and pedal. I was stopping a lot earlier at the usual traffic lights.

I like the idea of using a different composition on the rear brake as someone could easily buy three sets designed for the front. Had a look at OEM and thereís a different part number for the rear pads.

The pads I replaced were made by Ferodo, a new one to review if anyone wishes.
A day without learning is a day wasted

diverse-leafy