Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Brake pad review  (Read 3843 times)

Offline andyinvienna

• CBF Legend
  • Never test the depth of the water with both feet.
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Vienna
Brake pad review
« on: 17 May, 2011, 07:55:48 AM »

I fitted the Gold brakes to my bike last year, I also at the same time fitted a new pair of front discs, the Disks were EBC, I gently run them in as I did for the previous set from a French manufacturer that I do not remember, at first as with all brake pads, the feeling is a little vague, but instead of getting better and more responsive they continued to be Vague, I thought in the end that it might be air in the system, so I bled the brakes again, and still they were vague.
I have just had the bike in for its annual test and although the front brakes were not a fail they were written up as worn, thats only about 4000km aprox.
So as the back disk was in need of replacement I decided to replace the front pads, there was maybe 500 t0 1000km left on them. I replaced the pads with EBC cintered on the front

I set off and within 2km the feel of the brakes was transformed, the bike had a positive feel on the brakes agian

So in Conclusion, the speed of dilivery and price of Goldfren-Motorcycle-Brake-Pads on ebay is very competative, but there budget brand of gold brakes I would not recommend, but I would recommend them for EBC pads
Good judgement comes from bad experience ..... Most of that comes from bad judgement.

http://viennamotorbiker.webs.com

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
Re: Brake pad review
« Reply #1 on: 17 May, 2011, 08:44:54 AM »
Top notch AIV :028: :460:  

I still use the standard Honks pads but on my 4 previous bikes switched from Yamaha pads to EBC and found a very noticeable improvement.  My local Honka dealer tried to put me off EBC pads by suggesting that they were particularly hard on the discs but that was not my experience with having them on the front of my Yam cruisers.

Andy

:149:

Offline andyinvienna

• CBF Legend
« Reply #2 on: 17 May, 2011, 09:03:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bifferman [+]
Top notch AIV :028: :460:  

I still use the standard Honks pads but on my 4 previous bikes switched from Yamaha pads to EBC and found a very noticeable improvement.  My local Honka dealer tried to put me off EBC pads by suggesting that they were particularly hard on the discs but that was not my experience with having them on the front of my Yam cruisers.

Andy

there are different grades of EBC and they do say that the ones I have got which can be used for track days are more abrasive, but the ones on the back they say do not have an adverse affect on the disc, I will see how they go
Good judgement comes from bad experience ..... Most of that comes from bad judgement.

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #3 on: 17 May, 2011, 09:15:18 AM »
And the grade of EBC pads you have

Front: ...........

Rear: ............

:187:

Can't get the pictures any bigger to read the packaging.

Andy

Offline andyinvienna

• CBF Legend
« Reply #4 on: 17 May, 2011, 11:58:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bifferman [+]
And the grade of EBC pads you have

Front: ........... EBC Double-H Superbike PadsÖ Brake Pads

Rear: ............EBC Organic Kevlar«
Brake Pads

:187:

Can't get the pictures any bigger to read the packaging.

Andy

click on this
http://www.ebcbrakes.com/motorcycle_brake/sintered_brake_pads/double_h_superbike_pads/index.shtml

Motomag Magazine Article English Translation

EBC DOUBLE-H
TECHNICAL SCORE 9/10
VALUE FOR MONEY 9/10
BRAKING COMFORT ****
ON THE TEST BED ****
WEAR RATE ****
PRICE Ç34

Performance that matches the originals, low wear rate, moderate price, EBC HH brake pads quite logically come first in our rating.

Braking comfort: Anyone who seeks the feel of original equipment brake pads will be on familiar ground here. Very good progressiveness is present along with the feeling that there is enough braking power in reserve for heavy braking.

On the test bed: Sintered EBC brake pads are perfectly suited to road use. Their performance trend faithfully follows the original baseline pad, always a notch above. Just as important, the friction factor rises progressively up to a culminating point in excess of motorway speeds. Furthermore, wear was one of the least pronounced in our panel.

Hard braking at 60 kph Another area where these pads are close to the original equipment Tokico pads. Stopping distances are similar, to within ten centimetres. The braking trend graph shows a sharper bite.

FOR Moderate price Performance that matches original equipment pads Moderate wear rate AGAINST Nothing.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

EBC Organic Brake Pads
Image of EBC Organic Brake Pads
Diagram of Ultimax Brake Pad performance graph

Europe's first and only ECE R90 approved pad. These pads brake as well as sintered pads, as proved by R90 compliance.

Made in our own factory in Bristol, England, the EBC Kevlar« series has now been renamed NAO series or Non-Asbestos Organic, although we still use the famous Dupont Kevlar« fibre in conjunction with other high tech fibres that have come on the market. The NAO series are a superb all round value-for-money replacement for all levels of motorcycle and are still extremely popular with many riders who prefer the "feel" of organic pads. NAO series are fully TUV tested and KBA certified and conform to the new ECE R90 brake regulations which are about to storm the European market. EBC is at the forefront of this technology and will be the first on the market to offer Reg. 90 approved pads and packaging. Most EBC organic pads have expansion grooves which reduce noise and prevent cracking. The aramid fibre compound with non-ferrous particles helps to prevent surface "scorching" under load.
Image of E11 R90 Stamp    

NOW ECE R90 APPROVED
What does R90 mean? Cheap and nasty motorcycle brakes are the quickest way to an accident no matter where or how you ride.
EBC Brakes welcomes the new legislation on ECE R90 brake safety testing that shuts the door on unworthy parts. Until recently all EBC Brakes were tested by the notorious German TUV test centres and carried the KBA (German Motor Vehicle Organisation) certification number. EBC Brakes is pleased to announce that after extensive multi-model testing at the MIRA (Motor Industries Research Association) test track located at Nuneaton, UK, that both EBC Kevlar« organic pads and EBC Double-H sintered pads have been approved.

Offline melb_rider

• CBF Master
« Reply #5 on: 17 May, 2011, 11:53:54 PM »
Nicely done Andy, thanks - sorry to hear the Gold brakes are a bit poo, but this is exactly the useful kind of information we need! Plus, you've saved me a few dollars  :028: So, on behalf of everyone else, thank you!

I noticed there is a rather deserted review section on this forum - maybe the mods would think about resurrecting it. It would be great to have a series of categories - brakes, sprockets, oil, etc etc - that people could go to as a resource, or post their experiences with equipment. Nothing beats first-hand knowledge from people who are actually using the stuff on their Biffers!

Offline arizonarocket

• CBF Master
« Reply #6 on: 18 May, 2011, 07:37:47 AM »
Recently replaced my rear brake with double sintered EBC and noticed an improvement in braking. 

Cheers, 

AR  :030:

Offline andyinvienna

• CBF Legend
« Reply #7 on: 02 June, 2011, 10:10:43 AM »
Nearly a 1000km and wow they are much better, did a hard breaking yesterday and I slid forward on the seat almost crushing the crown jewels, the more you pull the lever the faster the bike stops, tried a couple of staged braking and they are impressive, pulled the lever, let it of a little then give a good squeeze............................. :005: and that was not a handful, I am happy now

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #8 on: 03 June, 2011, 05:14:56 PM »
Ah well, too late for me now.  Some remarkably nice chap on here called Marc helped me out with three sets of OEM Honka pads (2 sets front and 1 set rear) for about 1/3 the dealer or DS Spares price.  The std parts have been fine for 4 years so The Duck will have to wait a bit longer for EBC bits.

Andy

Offline Nuff

• CBF God
  • Bike: Black A7
  • City / Town: Milton Keynes
« Reply #9 on: 04 June, 2011, 01:50:36 AM »
EBC double sintered you say? I'm fair sure my front pads are shot now so this thread is of HUGE interest to me.
Take my advice or not, I really don't care. I'm just telling you what I think and would do on my bike.

diverse-leafy