Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Valve adjustment  (Read 5680 times)

Offline bross

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Moto Guzzi Griso
  • City / Town: Osoyoos, BC
Re: Valve adjustment
« Reply #20 on: 27 April, 2011, 06:34:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by FireBladerDk [+]
Hi All,

I have now integrated the excellent "Valve Clearance Adjustment DIY" description by bross with our on-line manual on www.fireblader.dk .

First of all thanks to bross for his contibution.  :047: I know only too well  how much work and time is takes to document the work with so many pictures and text.

Secondly I would - as always - appreciate input from reviewers so we can be sure nothing is left in the dark in the Valve Clearance Adjustment DIY Article.

I will open the review with a couple of questions you bross:

1) You did not describe anything about the cam chain guide at the top (ref. page 9-9 in the Honda Shop Manual). I suppose it was just as described in the shop manual and I just need to add a sentence about this. Did you take any pictures showing this item?

2) Do I need to add anything more to the tools list?

:031: ... Fred
Added a photo for the cam chain guide Fred and the torque of 9 lbs-ft when re-installing. Link to the original photo for you...
http://faithcottage.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/CBF1000/i-MqMdFj5/0/M/img_3406-O.jpg

Sorry I've been swamped here but will try to go through the tools list for you. Thanks for adding this to your DIY.  :031:

Offline FireBladerDk

• Article Editor
  • CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000A 2007
« Reply #21 on: 27 April, 2011, 10:17:04 PM »
Hi bross,

thanks for the new picture. I have already added it to the DIY with some extra text.

The link you presented was to a 338 x 450 pixel image of 75KB, so it is unfortunately not the original high-resolution image.

I also added a little extra text about the assemply procedure.

:031: ... Fred

Offline bross

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Moto Guzzi Griso
  • City / Town: Osoyoos, BC
« Reply #22 on: 27 April, 2011, 10:46:35 PM »

Offline FireBladerDk

• Article Editor
  • CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000A 2007
« Reply #23 on: 28 April, 2011, 06:51:44 PM »
Thanks bross -  :002:

Offline McNabb

• CBF Master
  • Out with the old, in with the new
« Reply #24 on: 28 April, 2011, 08:43:26 PM »
I believe the reason the dialectric grease works and is sometimese recommended is that it basically gets pushed out of the way where any contact is made.  But, the rest is sticking around to protect the connector itself.  Globbed on and not tightened I can see this causing major problems.   Putting some on and tightening things down should push enough of the stuff out of the way that it is not going to impede the connection, but still keep the water and corresion out.  I know I do see this stuff on electrical connectors on my car, I believe that it is mainly to protect the non-metalic parts like rubber boots etc.  For example, there is a product specifically for spark plugs and spark plug boots made of this stuff, so there has to be a use for it in electrical connections of some kind.

Offline melb_rider

• CBF Master
« Reply #25 on: 29 April, 2011, 05:12:14 AM »
Would a conductive grease, like the carbon grease you put on switches, be a better choice maybe? Should be just as good at keeping moisture out, and will maintain the connection...

Offline Stvlas

• CBF Member
  • BIFFER Lover for life 😁👍
  • Bike: CBF1000F
  • City / Town: Trim
« Reply #26 on: 27 October, 2020, 04:17:54 PM »
Hi There,
Followed your very good and detailed tutorial. Gave me the courage to do it. Results in pics below. Will reassemble next week when I get the new shim sizes.

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
« Reply #27 on: 28 October, 2020, 07:56:15 AM »
Well done and how refreshing to see the numbers, bench mark set! Was that the first valve clearance inspection?

I'll be getting down and dirty with my valve clearances about this time next year.

Offline Stvlas

• CBF Member
  • BIFFER Lover for life 😁👍
  • Bike: CBF1000F
  • City / Town: Trim
« Reply #28 on: 28 October, 2020, 08:28:06 AM »
Hi Art,
Sure is the first. Scares me a bit, but I suppose patience & time solves most things at my age (58yrs) 😯. Says in the manual that plug-hole gaskets must be replaced? Did you do this?

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
« Reply #29 on: 28 October, 2020, 09:03:59 AM »
Plug-hole gaskets, do you mean the spark plug crush washers? I've never replaced spark plug crush washers but while you're there you should be replacing the spark plugs, they come with new crush washers fitted. When I've done valve inspections in the past I've always been careful with gaskets and can't ever recall the need to replace any.

diverse-leafy