Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: PR3 longevity  (Read 5424 times)

Offline chippy4467

• Non Active
  • Bike: CBF1000 A7
  • City / Town: Midsomer Norton
Re: PR3 longevity
« Reply #20 on: 18 April, 2011, 08:57:49 PM »
Well I've just taken the plunge with PR3's - not likely to get out til next w/e cos various other things got in way (unusual as I normally ride most days)

Swapped from Roadsmarts - great tyre but looking for something with slightly quicker turn in as well as keeping wet weather performance

Roadsmarts
Front (2 off) 9355 (still had a bit of life) & 10480 mls, new tread depth 4.0mm
Rear (3 off) 7,4880, 6902, 5446 mls, new tread depth 5.5mm

PR3 tread depth 4.5 fr & 5.5 rear

Interestingly the rear Roadsmart life is coming down - am I riding harder, is it a function of Hagon rear shock or being cynical have Dunlop changed something?  I am going to check wheel alignment........

Will let you know in about 6 months how well the rear did. (10000 mls a year so 6 months is about 5000 - 6000)

Chippy
Dream big, get things done and change the world

No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.......

Offline bross

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Moto Guzzi Griso
  • City / Town: Osoyoos, BC
« Reply #21 on: 18 April, 2011, 09:23:20 PM »
I wasn't impressed with the mileage I got from my RoadSmarts either. They did OK, but I was expecting a little better than the old Pilot Roads from a new high tech dual compound tire.

Offline chippy4467

• Non Active
« Reply #22 on: 19 April, 2011, 08:26:55 PM »
Didn't say I wasn't impressed with roadsmarts - quite the opposite - 10000 front & 6000 rr is bl***y good in my book - I just fancied a change as tech moves on.

been known to waste a BT021 rr in 3000 on a VFR 750... :114:..............& the front only did about 4000.... :005:...........which is why I moved rapidly from Bridgestone (the 020  :015: was a better tyre)
I still rate the Dunlops very highly  :152: -just can't fathom why the milage came down - maybe I'm riding harder with the better shock giving more confidence?
 One of my work colleagues even has roadsmarts on a Blade :112: for commuting & is very happy with them - & he rides a damn sight harder than me.

If the PR3's don't last then my first choice will be Roadsmarts again

Chippy

No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.......

Offline bross

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Moto Guzzi Griso
  • City / Town: Osoyoos, BC
« Reply #23 on: 19 April, 2011, 10:33:44 PM »
Have they changed any of the surfacing on your roads? When I used to commute they re-did my mostly secondary highway one year with chip seal. I noticed first on my van tires, I got 15,000kms *less* running the exact same Michelin's I always ran on it and the only thing I can figure out is the new chip seal, vs the old asphalt surface we used to have.

Offline chippy4467

• Non Active
« Reply #24 on: 21 April, 2011, 09:45:10 PM »
no significant surface changes - think its either me riding harder with better shock or the shock causing the tyre to work harder (which it shouldn't as its a better shock).

Chippy

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #25 on: 24 April, 2011, 07:10:01 PM »
Chippy

Hopefully you will get better out of the PR3's on the rear.  I accellerate pretty hard most of the time and brake same as well (as long it is dry).  My rear PR2's gave me 7.5k with at least anothe 1000 miles remaining when I changed them.

Andy

:149:

Offline MadDogMcQ

• Non Active
« Reply #26 on: 26 April, 2011, 09:02:48 AM »
Well I just took the plunge on Saturday and got me some PR3's for the CBR600. My main consideration was grip in the wet because that's when we're most vulnerable. Secondly, I have lots of experience with PR2's and was always very comfortable with them, and finally, the light weight of the CBR means that I should also get decent mileage from them.

Just scrubbed them in over Easter and they feel great!

Offline CBFrookie

• CBF Member
  • Morecambe - It's great when the sun is shining!
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: North Lancs.
« Reply #27 on: 26 April, 2011, 12:56:46 PM »
Just having a PR3 fitted to the front as I post this.  PR2 on rear only half worn.  Dealer says this is acceptable but not the other way round. 

Great bike.  Plenty of used biffers on show.  Silver , blue and black.  Mine's red.

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #28 on: 26 April, 2011, 03:03:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by CBFrookie [+]
Just having a PR3 fitted to the front as I post this.  PR2 on rear only half worn.  Dealer says this is acceptable but not the other way round.  Great bike.  Plenty of used biffers on show.  Silver , blue and black.  Mine's red.

OK, so I change tyres as a pair and then usually a good bit earlier than the legal limit BUT where did the dealer get that advice from :187:  Many people go through 2 rears for one front :084:   

Andy

:149:

Offline andyinvienna

• CBF Legend
  • Never test the depth of the water with both feet.
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Vienna
« Reply #29 on: 03 May, 2011, 09:08:38 AM »
take a look

and this

and this

and this

its in french, but its easy to understand, basicaly the PR3 stops a lot quicker in the wet 5 meters shorter  :005:
« Last Edit: 03 May, 2011, 09:11:11 AM by andyinvienna »
Good judgement comes from bad experience ..... Most of that comes from bad judgement.

http://viennamotorbiker.webs.com

diverse-leafy