Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: PR3 longevity  (Read 5542 times)

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
Re: PR3 longevity
« Reply #10 on: 12 April, 2011, 08:58:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by java [+]
I have the PR2 on my bike right now. The difference in the tires is also the rubber. Softer tires that will give you a smooth ride, they wear out as twice as fast. Compond and proper tire inflation in normal driving conditions it's what give you the less or more longevity. Of course other driving conditions, weigh and driving matters also play a good role on your rubber.
The best riding tires that I had in my bike were Yokohama's. A tire with a very soft compond and a great riding manners, but they were gone a lot faster that any other one. If the compond of the PR3 is different will give you also a different ride and longevity. Of course, Michellin will know, they are the manufacture!!!
 :190:

Soft tyres is as much or more to do with the manufacture and design of the carcase.  Nick into your local tyre depot and push your thumbs into a PR2 or PR3 of Power tyres for example and feel just how pliant they are compared with almost any of the competition, that's down to carcase design, not compound hardness.

Andy

:149:
« Last Edit: 12 April, 2011, 09:01:47 PM by Bifferman »

Offline java

• CBF Master
  • Aka: Cub/Can in YYZ
  • Bike: Red 09 CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Abu Dhabi
« Reply #11 on: 13 April, 2011, 12:37:28 AM »
Soft tyres is as much or more to do with the manufacture and design of the carcase.  Nick into your local tyre depot and push your thumbs into a PR2 or PR3 of Power tyres for example and feel just how pliant they are compared with almost any of the competition, that's down to carcase design, not compound hardness.

If you said so,...  :164: :164: :164:

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #12 on: 13 April, 2011, 02:34:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by java [+]
Soft tyres is as much or more to do with the manufacture and design of the carcase.  Nick into your local tyre depot and push your thumbs into a PR2 or PR3 of Power tyres for example and feel just how pliant they are compared with almost any of the competition, that's down to carcase design, not compound hardness.

If you said so,...  :164: :164: :164:

Yep, I think it was I who said that :150:

Offline martins cbf1000

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBR1100BLACKBIRD
  • City / Town: newport
« Reply #13 on: 13 April, 2011, 03:20:03 PM »
depends how hard you ride tire life my PR2 rear was changed at 6000 miles when i had the CBF, martin
CBR1100XX its not for girls,

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #14 on: 13 April, 2011, 07:15:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bifferman [+]
Am still waiting for more info on the PR3B's :156: , the PR3's for heavyweights + wives + heaps of luggage.  Rumour ?, but interesting if verified.

Andy

Well Michelin PR3B's do exist but unfortunately not in a size to fit the Biffer.  The only size, I am told (this came from Mich in France) are for the BMW R1200 and RT and also the Yamaha FJR1300 - so if you know what size those tyres are you could be cooking with gas.   Didn't go into the detail as they are not available for the Biffer but in short designed to cater for the extra weight of wife/mistress and a heap of luggage without increasing the tyre pressure - it all sounds magic to me.

Andy

Offline mrteddy

• CBF Master
« Reply #15 on: 14 April, 2011, 10:11:15 PM »
I put PR3's on in January and have ridden 2,736 miles on them. I think they are great in all weathers from bone dry to pouring rain (and all road surfaces in between). The remaining tread is F: 4.5.4mm and R:5.6.5mm

I'm selling her on Saturday so will be unable to offer any further info, but here are some pictures that might help you decide.

Cheers,
Steve.

Nil Desperandum!

Offline golfsharpy12

• CBF Legend
  • RG500 - 2-stroke heaven (Dum Spiro Spero)
  • Bike: Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Marlow & Gloucs
« Reply #16 on: 15 April, 2011, 12:18:54 PM »
What was the starting depth?

Offline mrteddy

• CBF Master
« Reply #17 on: 15 April, 2011, 06:00:39 PM »
Hi Steve.

Sorry to appear thick but I never checked the starting depths. I was only really concentrating on how many miles it will take till they need to be replaced.

I'm positive Bifferman will know the answer...hopefully he will read this thread and post the detials.

Cheers,
Steve.
Nil Desperandum!

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #18 on: 16 April, 2011, 10:48:26 PM »
Thought I had posted the new tread depth on here somewhere (try the PRO Tyre thread under tyres), never mind I will go and remeasure tomorrow, will not be far off as tyres are very low mileage to date.

Andy

Offline mrteddy

• CBF Master
« Reply #19 on: 18 April, 2011, 12:18:38 AM »
Cheers Andy.

p.s. The VFR is fantastic!

Steve. :031:
Nil Desperandum!

diverse-leafy